Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Harriet Tubman

 



By: L S

Introductory paragraph:  

Hello, my name is Harriet Tubman. I was born on a plantation in Bucktown, Maryland in 1820. My parents named me Araminta, but I took my mother’s name instead: Harriet. I was born a slave along with my 10 brothers and sisters. I would live to be 93 years old.  

Body paragraph 1: Cool facts  

I had my first job at 6 years old. I took care of a white baby on the plantation. I worked on the plantation with my family until I married John Tubman. I was in my 20’s when we married. He was a free man, but I was still owned by my masters.  

Body paragraph 2: Freedom  

In 1849 I ran away. My freedom was worth all the risks. I did not tell my husband, John. I left with 2 of my brothers In 1850 I decided to free my family from slavery. I brought many of my siblings to the north. In 1857 I rescued my parents from Maryland and moved them to Auburn, New York. I was a conductor on the underground railroad helping my passengers to freedom. No one could turn back once the journey started. I never lost a passenger. I guided 300 people to freedom on the underground railroad. The underground railroad used songs and quilts to send messages to passengers who wanted to be free. The songs gave directions, landmarks, and which stars to follow. Secret quilt codes; the patterns on the quilts often gave important instructions or messages like when to get ready, when to leave, and when to go 

Body Paragraph 3: Civil War  

The civil war started in April 1861 when the confederate army attacked Fort Sumter. I worked as a nurse, a cook, a scout, and a spy for the union army. I also led the union army through forests and swamps using my survival skills. I helped free 800 slaves throughout the civil war. After 4 years of war, I returned to my home in Auburn, New York to continue taking care of my parents. I was never paid for my service in the union army.  

Conclusion: 

After being born into slavery in Maryland, I escaped to freedom at age 29 in Pennsylvania. I walked over 100 miles to freedom. Before my death I helped over 1000 people gain freedom from slavery in the south. In 1869 Sarah Bradford wrote a book about my life about how much I helped women fight for our rights. I wanted to help inspire others to continue my work after I die. I died in 1913 at the age of 93 in Auburn, New York.  

No comments:

Post a Comment