Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Edgar Allen Poe

By George


Oh, hi there. My name is Edgar Allan Poe. Let me tell you a bit about myself. I went to school at the University of Virginia. Sadly I had to drop out because my family did not have enough money to afford school. I then made a book called “Tamerlane and Other Poems.” When I was older I went to the U.S. Military academy, but was soon expelled. I was brought up by my aunt & uncle because my mom died when I was three, and my dad left the family.

My family had lost a lot of money to gambling losses. When I had dropped out I claimed that my uncle had made me because he had lost a lot of money gambling. Sadly that ended up to be true. Later I went to the U.S. Military academy at West Point, but was sadly soon expelled because I hadn’t done well with my duties. Then I went on to become a writer and start that as a career. I must say it ended up in favor of me. Now I’ll let my older brother William Henry Leonard Poe tell what he saw from his point of view.

Well hello. I’m guessing Edgar wants me to tell you a bit about him. Well I might as well tell you.My brother actually married our cousin. She & Edgar stayed together for their entire lives. I didn’t know him much. I know a bit though. I know in honor of his poem ‘The Raven’ The Ravens football team was founded. I was famous because I was his brother. His wife’s name was Virginia Clemm Poe. Well I think I’ve told you enough. Now I’ll let our younger sister tell what she knows. Good bye.

Hello there, I’m guessing William wants me to tell you about what I know about Edgar, Will, and I right? Well than I’ll tell you. Will, Edgar, and I never really knew our parents. Edgar was separated from us, and went to live with our aunt and uncle. John & Frances Allan whom I believe is a successful tobacco merchant. They lived in Richmond, Virginia. I believe he grew happy having Frances around. I don’t think that he and John ever really bonded. When Edgar left the University he turned to gambling to cover the difference. He ended up in debt of John who let it go. Well I’ll leave you to Edgar.

Well my friend I hope you have learned, “Quoth the raven, Nevermore.”



These are pictures of Edgar (left) & William (right)



‘The Raven’

“Once upon a midnight dreary, while I pondered weak and weary, over a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore, while I nodded nearly napping suddenly there came a tapping as of someone gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door. “Tis some visitor.” I muttered, “Tapping at my chamber door, only this and nothing more.”

Thank You


Sources were: wikipedia

________________
Presentation Notes:

"Hello, I'm glad to have people that are friendly to be around.. Ever since my wife died a year & a half ago in 1847 I have been very lonely. So what are you doing here, and where did you come from?...I came from the U.S. military academy of Virginia. I did horribly with my duties. ................so any guesses who I am yet?"

No comments:

Post a Comment