Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Nellie Bly

The Adventurous Nellie Bly!

By Kyli





https://www.nwhm.org/online-exhibits/youngandbrave/bly.html



















Does anyone know where my monkey is? No? Sorry. He can be quite rambunctious at times. I bought him in Singapore on my trip around the world. It was quite a quick trip, only seventy two days! I wrote a book on it. It was a bit insane, but not as insane as when I went undercover to become a “patient” at a mental hospital. That made a great newspaper report. Anyway… would you like to get to know me? I thought so.

Here we will ask the classic question, “Who am I?” I am Nellie Bly! I was born, Elizabeth Jane Cochran, May 5, 1864, in Cochran Mills, Pennsylvania. I was a journalist/reporter/inventor, and I made an important change to our world in a few ways. One that I feel is very important is that I went undercover to become a patient at a mental hospital to show how badly the mentally ill were treated. I am most known for being a reporter that actually does what I’m writing about. For instance, I wrote a book called Around The World In 72 Days. This is because I actually went around the world in seventy-two days.

I sure was a cute kid in my younger days. My father was a very important part of my life. He taught all of his kids, including me, how hard work and determination can get you places. I took this very seriously throughout my life. I was also nicknamed “Pinky” because I wore the color so often. But in my preteens, I decided to stop so people would take me more seriously. My first writing was actually a response to an article in the newspaper titled “How Women Should Act.” The original article explained that women should not have an education, in fact, that they should not leave their house, etc. I was outraged! I wrote back my thoughts about the article, and titled it “The Little Orphan Girl.” One of my most important discoveries was when I went undercover and pretended to be crazy, spending ten days in a mental institute. I wrote about how they treated the patients there. There were horrible conditions, and I titled my article “Ten Days In The Madhouse.” My experience, and article, changed the way we look at the mentally ill.

I traveled to many places, including a trip to Mexico and of course, all around the world. On my trip around the world, I had crazy adventures, including the monkey! I went to Mexico to write about their government, and what we were doing to them. Many Americans, and some Mexicans, didn’t appreciate this. When I went around the world, I was racing another woman. I won, getting back 72 days later.

Finally, we will discuss my later years. In 1895, I married millionaire, Robert Seaman. Seaman was seventy-three, and I was thirty-one when we got married. Seaman died in 1904, then I came up with the idea of a milk can, and stacking garbage cans. I then died at age fifty-seven of pneumonia in St. Mark’s Hospital in New York City. I was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in New York, 1922.

Well, did you enjoy my life? Good. I think I am a very interesting person. I am glad you enjoyed my life story. I hope you are intrigued to learn more. I’ve done many things important to the world. And I think I am just downright amazing.



Sources:

Wikipedia

www.nelliebly.com

www.historicjournalism.com

Digital.library.upenn.edu

____________________________
Presentation Notes:

"Excuse me, but do you know where my monkey went? Sorry. He doesn't like to stay in my purse very much. May I introduce myself? My name is Elizabeth. I am a writer and reporter for the newspaper. I've gone on many travels, including Mexico, and around the world. It went by very quickly, only 72 days. I also went to a mental hospital, but I'm really not ill. And that pretty much sums up my life. Any questions?"

No comments:

Post a Comment