Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Florence Griffith Joyner "Flo-Jo"

  “Everything”


A Biography on Florence Griffith Joyner

Written by: Gabriella



   






When I was younger, my teacher asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I said, “Everything, I want to be everything.” The other kids laughed at me with my crazy hair and funky style. Although they thought a girl like me would never become anything, I never gave up on my dream. Well, I’ve now won three gold medals and two silver medals at the Olympics. I’m here to tell you how I accomplished “everything.”

I was born on December 21, 1959 in Los Angeles, California. I have ten siblings and since it was not safe to roam around the neighborhood we always played games together outside in our backyard. I found my talent of running around the age of seven. My mother was a single mother and always taught us to be ourselves. As a child I would do funky things like sewing clothes for my Barbies and riding a unicycle. When I was fourteen, it was an honor when I won the Jesse Owens National Youth Games. In high school, I was the anchor of the 4 by 400 relay team. In college, I competed on the track team and won many different races. Some of my coaches even believed I could be an Olympic Star.

Then times grew tough. I dropped out of college to get a job as a bank teller. However, my coach did not want me to give up, so he got me financial aid and helped me return to school. In 1982, I graduated from UCLA with a degree in psychology. I also became an NCAA champion with a victory in the 200-meter. The next year I took the top spot in the 400-meter.

In 1984, I went to Los Angeles for my first time in the Olympics. In the 200 meter I ran 22.02 to take the silver medal. After the 1985 track season, I needed to go back to work to help out my family, so I found the same job as a bank teller and did hair for my friends as a side job. I still found time to work with my coach, Bob Kersee, even though I was very busy. At the 1987 World Championships I won the silver medal in the 200 meter with a time of 21.96.

On October 10, 1987 I was the happiest woman on the Earth. I married Al Joyner, Olympic triple jump gold medalist. He was also the brother of Jackie Joyner-Kersee and I became part of the first family of track and field. After that I left Kersee’s training camp so my husband could take over training me.

A year later, at the Olympic Trials in Indianapolis, I won three different races.Then, I won three gold medals at the Olympics. I took home the gold in the 100 meters, 200 meters and 400 meter relay. I also took home the silver medal in the 4 by 400 relay. Then is when I got my nickname, “Flo-Jo”.

There were some rumors of me using drugs. I had to just ignore them because if I stop to kick every barking dog, I am not going to get to the places I need to go.

In January 1989 I retired from competitive track and field to pursue my other dreams. I started acting, writing (poetry, children's books, romance novels, etc.). I also established my own clothing design company and cosmetics business. I even designed the uniforms for the Indiana Pacers a year ago. Now after a year, I am taking care of my beautiful baby girl, Mary Ruth Joyner.

Well, that is how I accomplished “everything.” I would like all of you to go out and pursue your dreams. I hope you will always remember that I believe in the impossible because no one else does. That is why you should as well.

Sources:


  • Wickham, Martha. Superstars of Women's Track and Field. Philadelphia: Chelsea House, 1997. Print.
  • Hatch, Robert, and William Hatch. The Hero Project: 2 Teens, 1 Notebook, 13 Extraordinary Interviews. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2006. Print.
  • Schatz, Kate, and Miriam Klein Stahl. Rad American Women A-Z. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Print.
  • "Florence Griffith Joyner." Florence Griffith Joyner. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2016.
  • "Florence Griffith Joyner." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2016.
  • "Florence Joyner." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2016.
  • "Www.Flo-Jo.org." Www.Flo-Jo.org. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2016.
  • "Seoul." Posters at AllPosters.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 20 Apr. 2016.

____________________
Presentation Notes:

"It's a pleasure to meet all of you! Hold on, are you reporters? Oh, thank goodness. I mean I love all the attention, even the flashy new nickname they have come up with. It is such an honor, all this attention. You know, I am planning to start training for the 400. Don't tell the reporters though. They will get the information out in a blink of an eye. After this, I get to go meet up with Al, Jackie, and Bob. Al and I haven't got the chance to see them lately because you know how Bob and Jackie are always traveling. Well, anyways, how have you been?"

No comments:

Post a Comment