Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Andree Peel




Agent Rose

By Julia

Andree Peel was a French lady who owned a beauty salon when the Nazis invaded. During the war, she had a really hard time. She was captured, beaten, almost killed... But we'll get more into that later. Now let the story begin...

First of all, before the war, she lived a nice life. She was born into a religious family. She was born on February 3, 1905. When she was an adult, she owned a beauty salon. When the Nazis invaded, she joined the French resistance. She started out in the resistance distributing leaflets. She became the organization's clandestine. Later, she was promoted to command a Breton Sub-Section. Her codenames were Agent X and Agent Rose.

Second, she was captured! She was taken to Avenue Foch and was tortured, which included: Simulated Drowning, Severe Beatings in the Throat, and Electric Shock Torture. Oh, and don't think it gets nice after that. In 1944, she arrived at Ravensbruck Concentration camp. After that she was taken to Buchenwald concentration camp, where she survived meningitis. She (along with all of the other captured French resistance fighters) were about to be put to death by a firing squad, when the US Army swooped in and saved them.

Last, After the war, she went home to Brest to find her brother and father dead. She moved to Paris and owned a restaurant called the La Caravelle. Later, she married John Peel. Oh! If you're wondering how they met... Oh you are! Well, let me tell you. They met at her restaurant. Although he was 20 years younger than her, she considered him the love of her life. They got married but had no children. They moved to the village of Long Ashton where they were happy.

When she was interviewed many years later, she said, " I was born with courage. I did not allow cruel people to find in me a person they could torture. I saved 102 pilots before I was arrested, interrogated, and tortured. I suffer still from that. I still have the pain... At that time we were all putting our lives in danger, but we did it because we were fighting for freedom. It was a terrible time but looking back, I am so glad of what I did and I'm glad to have helped defend the freedom of the future generations." She received five awards: The King's Commendation, Medal of Freedom, Croix de Guerre, Legion d'honneur, and was upgraded to Chevalier of the Legion.

So... In the beginning when I said she had a hard time, now do you know what I meant... but it turns out good in the end...right! She inspired me to not believe or do something just because someone tells me to. If you want to learn more about her, she has a book called Miracles do Happen, and a movie called Rose: A Portrait of a French Resistance Fighter. Thank You.

Sources-

“Andree Peel.” Facebook, www.facebook.com/home.php.

“US.” The Independent, Independent Digital News and Media, www.independent.co.uk/.

“Main Page.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 1 May 2018, www.wikipedia.org/.


Presentation Notes:
__________________________________________

"Hi, are you the person I'm looking for? (Yes) Good! I have the leaflets. I need to distribute them. But before I go, I need to make sure you are the person I'm looking for. (No) Oh well... then I'm sorry for bothering you. (Whisper) Good cover. Now that I know you're the person I'm looking for, do you have any questions?"

No comments:

Post a Comment