Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Mae Jemison




The Story of Jemison

By Camille

Mae C. Jemison is an icon. Did you know she is fluent in four different languages? She can speak Russian, Swahili, Japanese, and of course, English. The funny thing is, she is not even a linguist, she's an astronaut! In fact, she was the very first African-American women to go into space! Mae Jemison is amazing!

It all began is Decatur, Alabama. Mae was born on October 17th, 1956, to Charley and Dorothy Jemison. She had two siblings named Ada and Charles Jemison. When she was young, she said she was going to go to space one day. But before she could do that, she had to go to school.

Jemison went to Morgan Park High School in Chicago, Illinois. Then she went to Stanford University. Her Parents supported her talents a lot. After that, she went to University Medical College. When she went to space, she studied weightlessness and motion sickness on her and the crew. There are many other details about space, though.

First of all, On June 4, 1987, Jemison was admitted into the training program. She flew on September 12, 1992. She went on Endeavor with six other astronauts. She was in space for 190 hours, (8 days). They returned September 20, 1992. Jemison Obtained her M. D. in 1981. When Jemison was a medical doctor, she worked on the Peace Corps for 2 ½ years. She left NASA in March 1993. After NASA, Jemison taught at Dartmouth. She also made the Jemison Group, to seek research.

Mae C. Jemison inspired me by making me feel like I can achieve anything. She said she was going to space one day, and that is exactly what she did. I feel she inspired people to believe in themselves. Mae C. Jemson is an amazing person.

Sources:

“Mae Jemison.” Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, 16 Apr. 2018, 15:33, www.wikipedia.org/.

“May C. Jemison.” Biography.com, A&E Television Networks, 19 Jan. 2018, www.biography.com/.

“Me Jemison.” NASA, NASA, starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/StarChild/StarChild.html.

Presentation Notes: _____________________________
"Hello! I just came from an interview with NASA. They wanted to how my experiments went in space. They also wanted to know if I would ever join again. I don't think I will, I'm getting a little old. After this I'm going to shoot an episode of Star Trek. I will be a special guest. So do you have any questions?"

No comments:

Post a Comment